These pictures were taken in the re-invented cloister garden of the Roman Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral of St Andrew. The sulpture consists of several mirrored panels with verses on them, that you can walk around and amongst.
In some you get the reflection of the modern apartment building in front of the old Cathedral. Each aspect gives a different view and reflection 😀
This sculpture stands outside the House for an Art Lover, in the grounds of Bellahouston Park. It was installed by Doug Cocker in 1999; it is “a vertical, hard, contemporary image contrasting with the history-laden mass of the building”.
Elephant for Glasgow was crafted in 2015 and came about when Kenny Hunter worked in partnership with House for an Art Lover; the result was a life-size elephant cast in part from recycled, redundant or scrap parts of locomotives. These were sourced from engines in India and South Africa that were originally built in Glasgow. This sculpture has been installed on the site of the 1938 British Empire Exhibition in Bellahouston Park.
This sculpture, designed by Jimmy Cosgrove, and constructed by Hector McGarva, was installed outside The House for an Art Lover in Oct 2005. It is made from cast iron and corten steel, and shows the silhouette of a shipyard worker and his dog; on the adjacent table lie the tools of his trade. The inscription on the sculpture reads “celebrate those who made the Clyde great”.
The Peace Cairn by Elspeth Bennie can be found in Bellahouston Park, at the front of the House for an Art Lover. The stone peace cairn was erected for the 1838 Empire Exhibition and has numerous shaped blocks of stone within it, on which are engraved the names of the organisations and clans that attended the exhibition; the very real possibility of war was a deep concern. The modern steel globe a top the cairn was added in July 2004 and features ‘Peace’ in differnt languages. We have three words for ‘Peace’ in Scots: pace, lown, saucht.